New Mexico Poets may now apply to be Poet Laureate, and any New Mexican may now nominate a New Mexico poet for Poet Laureate.
The Poet Laureate position was created to promote an appreciation of poetry in New Mexico and to honor outstanding New Mexico poets. The Poet Laureate serves as an active advocate for poetry, literacy, and literature by participating in readings and other events at schools, libraries, literary festivals, and the State Capitol.
The selection of Poet Laureate will be based on artistic excellence, a demonstrated history of community service in the advancement of poetry, and the ability to present poetry effectively. A Selection Committee will be convened to review nominations and make the final selection. Complete nominations, including all documentation, will be accepted through May 15, 2022. The Poet Laureate will serve a one-year term beginning in July 2022, renewable up to two additional years through June 2025.
The New Mexico Poet Laureate must be a legal, full-time New Mexico resident for at least three years prior to the nomination deadline. The Poet Laureate must also remain a resident of New Mexico during the term of office and must pass a standard background check. Nominations and all documentation must be submitted no later than May 15, 2022.
Submit the following documentation for nominated poets:
- Letter of interest including a description of your interest in the position and a brief statement of the special initiative you propose undertaking (one page maximum in .doc or .pdf file format)
- Biographical information (one page maximum in .doc or .pdf file format)
- Resume or curriculum vitae (three pages maximum in .doc or .pdf file format) with bibliography of published works (two pages maximum in .doc or .pdf file format)
- Previous awards and/or recognitions (one page maximum in .doc or .pdf file format)
- Samples of original poetry. (Five poems max. within a seven-page limit in .doc or .pdf file format)
- Audio or video samples of you reading your work. Submit MP3 audio files or provide links to websites (e.g., a personal website, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).
- Additionally up to three letters of support. (one page maximum each in .doc or .pdf file format; if more than three letters are provided only the first three will be provided to the selection committee)
Submit all documentation and inquiries to email@example.com